Sunday, June 27, 2010

I'm a survivor of OperaTHON

Tonight I just got back from standing on my feet for almost 5 hours! We decided that we should experience that Staatsoper standing room procedure, since we are still young and able, and since Wagner's "Tannhäuser" opera was playing. Standing room in Vienna is a brilliant idea. We got to see a Wagner opera in a state-of-the-art theater for just 4 Euros! It took us the whole day. After church at noon, we ate some food at Sacher 'Eck, the cafe section of the fancy Hotel Sacher restaurant. At about 2:45pm, we got in line in the standing room entrance of the Staatsoper, where we were led to a line resembling an amusement park line, where people brought little camping fold-out stools to sit on while they waited for their opera ticket. We just sat on the floor for about 2 hours and did our German homework while we waited. At about 4:15, the ticket office opened and we bought our 4Euro tickets to stand on the orchestra level of the house! The waiting wasn't over after that. We then stood in line in the hallway before the house opened, and then people run to get their first choice standing room places. In an old-fashioned way, everyone ties scarves or sweaters over the railing where they want to stand and it is the usher's job to make sure that nobody moves those scarves. After you claim your spot you are free to roam around until 10 minutes before.

At 5:30, just a short time later, the show started. Tannhäuser has some of the most amazing music, and sends chills up and down your spine over and over again. The conductor in the pit was the best conductor I've seen so far here! I loved the way his hands moved so consistently for 4 hours and made so much music! At first, I expected a Wagner opera to be huge, loud singing all the time with a full orchestra score underneath, but this was not the case at all. There were quiet almost recitative-like passages, and even some a cappella music. There was a big chorus as well, who sometimes acted much like a Greek chorus. Although I tended to go in and out of understanding and not understanding the plot, I thoroughly enjoyed the music for all 4 hours, and it seemed to go by quickly. There were some amazing voices. I once heard from my professor Bev Patton that "you know you are hearing a good singer when you forget that they are singing and all you know is what they are feeling." This was so true of everyone in the cast of Tannhäuser tonight. My favorite part was the little boy who came out and sang a simply beautiful a cappella bit and had the voice of an angel!

My heels hurt a bit, but the little bit of pain from standing completely still for 4 hours straight has no effect compared to the feeling after seeing an incredible performance. I remembered how high on life I felt after I finished a performance of silly Marriage of Figaro, and then I try to imagine how the cast must feel after finishing this emotionally, mentally and physically exhausting opera. It was exhausting for me to watch, so to do it must be even greater. I admire these people with all my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers