Friday, June 4, 2010

Can't help falling in love...

Sorry Aaron, if you are reading this! I think I am falling in love. So sorry, but I just can't stop myself from hyperventilating a little bit when I walk down the streets of Vienna by myself, and feel the exhilaration of being free, independent, unknown, and entirely, utterly happy. I just can't stop from breathing in and soaking up the moment when the cool air of another U-Bahn is passing by in the underground. I love the way the night shines bright and brings out the life of a city. I love the charming elderly Austrians, and how they smirk a little when I speak German with my obvious American accent. I love Heurigens, and feeling connected to my heritage. And, I just cannot stop myself from saying every street name, every road sign, every store name outloud to myself in German. The ring of the pure vowels of the German language light a spark in me, and I just. can't. stop. I listen to every conversation I possibly can, hoping to catch something funny to laugh at, or maybe some juicy gossip to chew on.... I'm falling in love. Falling.

I'm sort of making a joke, because I have a boyfriend who I love dearly and miss dearly who has been in New Zealand for the past few weeks (Happy 18 months, Aaron!), but also, I'm being serious. Today, I was talking to one of my professors casually as we walked through a village, and he asked me if I ever considered living here at least for a while. I didn't have an answer to that question, aber vielliecht mein Traum ist in Wien wohnen! Oops. :)

My last entry was on Wednesday. Thursday was a day full of class, and getting to know and love the Palais Corbelli, the palace where I go to school! I have to practice a lot because I have new repertoire that I am trying to get into performance shape in 6 weeks, which is kind of short. (Now it's only five! Oh gosh.) Our voice performance workshop is absolutely wonderful and I love Mr. Russell Ryan, who is "not a trained voice teacher" but has plenty of wisdom and helpful things to offer us. I was able to get ahold of my actual private lesson teacher, Donna, and I am meeting with her on Saturday morning.

Today, we took a day trip to Steirmark, to the city of Mürzzuschlag, where Brahms lived and composed during the summers because the "air is fresher." The drive was beautiful. One moment we are going through a tunnel 500 meters long, and then we come out of the tunnel to see Sound of Music-esque rolling green hills, mountains, fields, vineyards, cattle, castles and cottages, among other things! Look for pictures, please! Caution: these pictures may be convincing enough for you to come and visit Austria. I could see why Brahms said (approx. translation) "here, the Melodies fly, so be careful not to step on them!" I totally get it. I was sure that while we were driving past these sights of fresh Austrian land that there should be a symphony soundtrack playing in the background. Literally, these mountains have music in them. Thank God for that gift.

After five days of all rain and no sun, finally we saw some blue sky and felt the warmth of the sun. And what a perfect day for it! We climbed up some hills-- and in Austria countryside, when you climb up a steep hill, you know it will all be worth it for the view at the top. And so it was. So many memorable moments today!

I've been here for a week now, it is crazy. I have adjusted just fine, finding a coffee shop I can go to in the morning, getting the hang of handling the Euro and Euro cents, and even working the U-Bahn by myself (taking a few wrong turns, in daylight of course!). The smoking still bothers me, and I am glad that the weather is warm and nice enough that I can sit outside at cafes if I need to now. Another major difference is that I am cooking for myself and buying groceries in a store where everything is in German! I had to look up every word of the directions of my ravioli in order to cook it, but I made it happen. I am getting ideas from all my housemates at dinner time when we all cook different things for ourselves at the same time. Have any good recipes? Let me know! One last major difference that is shocking to me is the public displays of affection here! Two people in love do NOT think twice about taking their time to share a long kiss on the U-Bahn, or even between pieces in a concert! A little weird, but everyone does it, and it is accepted. Major culture difference.

So now begins my love affair with the city of Vienna. No worries, it's not cheating because my heart has someone else in mind. But this city has opportunities running rampant for me, and I can't wait to catch every single one I can. I'm trying my best to make the most of this weekend. After this weekend, 1/6 of my time here is over. Prost! (Cheers!) To making the next 5 weeks go as slow as possible!

1 comment:

  1. You just found the key to why every college student should study abroad pretty much. Keep having a blast! Love your pics....hope you BOUGHT me some shoes and didnt just take a picture of the shop...I'm a size 39. :) love ya!

    ReplyDelete

Followers