Thursday, June 17, 2010

A contemplation on shopping culture

This one is dedicated to my sister, Samantha! I have spent a good number of times going in stores and ....wait for this one...SHOPPING. Not going crazy yet, but thoughts run through my head...read on!

During the week, I spend a lot of time at the Palais Corbelli, where I spend an hour and a half in German 4 days a week, and 2 and a half hours in performance workshops 3 times a week. The interval pauses I have in between are short, but I have no patience for sitting in the comfortable student hallway/lounge, like some of the other people taking classes here. (There are other groups at IES, not just the 11 of us music people). I can't stand the fact that I am trapped inside on beautiful sunny days when there is a whole city outside, waiting to be explored! I have probably walked down Kärntnerstrasse (the main street) about a hundred times now, and I still notice new things and new stores every single time I take a stroll! Kärnterstrasse is also the main street I have to walk down to get to the IES center. In the mornings, it is less crowded, but if I go early, I have to dodge large white vans driving wildly on the cobblestone footpaths, holding new packages for all the designer stores, as well as the abundant souvenier shops.

Today, I had a packed schedule from 10am until 5:30, except for a break between 1pm and 2:30. I had planned to practice and write postcards on that short break, but I just can not find the motivation to practice as much as I should! I am kind of getting my butt kicked here, technically and musically. I like it because I feel like I am in a 6 week music intensive program, which is great. My voice teacher is incredible, and I'm noticing things about the way I sing which I have never noticed before. She is very sweet to me, but she doesn't let things go! If I sing one note in not the prettiest way, she'll stop and tell me what to do, how to do it, and it goes on from there. Naturally, I have to stop a lot. In her words, "what you're doing doesn't sound bad, but when you make these tiny adjustments, you sould worlds better!" Well, good, I'm glad! I try to do my best for her. The repertoire I am working on here is not of great importance. I like the songs though--they are cute, and I am considering continuing on with some of them next semester.

Oops, a little off-topic! I didn't practice today. I was distracted when I stepped outside, thinking that I would buy a hoodie. I forgot to bring one with me, and it was around 60 degrees Fahrenheit and cloudy. However, when I stepped outside, it was not even really that cold! I went on an adventure anyway. I don't know really what I do exactly. I guess I just walk. I probably look pretty idiotic, with my huge black bag, staring up at the names of stores on both sides of the street as I walk down the center. Sometimes I pass one store, and then I have a second thought and turn around sharply because I suddenly decide I should see what the store offers. It is quite ridiculous. Today, on my search for an unnecessary hoodie, I pretty much went into every store that looked like it has a good assortment of ladies clothes. Some stores I walked in, and I surveyed the age group of the women roaming around. Average age: 45 probably. And what do I do? I keep looking! Sorry, Samantha! Actually, in one of those stores, I tried on a beautiful light brown blazer costing 150 Euros. I almost fell in love, and then I came back to reality. That was fun. Next store.

Ooo! Zara! I've always heard about it, but never gone in. So I go in and look around. Shopping has begun to tempt me. If you know my previous feelings about shopping, you know that I only shop for things I truly need, and only occasionally for fun, but mostly just looking. I never really have major urges to buy anything, in fact, I normally convince myself out of anything I really like. I have a short attention span for shopping, and you might as well call me a party-pooper when you put me shopping with my sisters! But now, I've experienced something new. I'm in a new city, where I have the attitude that when I leave here, I have no idea when I am coming back, so I don't mind spending my money on things that will help me remember my time living here. When I go in these stores, things call out my name. I even go into shoes stores where the average shoe price is about 85 Euros. And yes, I even tried on a pair of quite adorable, brown shoes. Who AM I?

Maybe shopping is different in Vienna? Maybe I'm going through an attitude change? Maybe I just like being by myself shopping, the feeling of being free, and not being swayed by others' opinions? I don't know, but it's weird!

Right now, I am in Cafe phil, a Viennese coffeehouse near Naschmarkt. The girls I live with are with me, and they have to work on a paper for their music history class--a class which I am thankful for abstaining from! I would describe the atmosphere of this cafe as "chill." The lights are dim, old books on bookcases line the walls, and we are sitting on couches and arm chairs with a low coffee table in between. They are playing alternative, zen and sometimes jazzy background music. I'm on their free internet. What a world I live in. I have a three day weekend ahead of me.

Enjoy summer, east coast! I don't know what to call this season that Vienna is going through!

2 comments:

  1. Feel free to splurge on something in Zara for me...you know it's one of my favorite stores!!!!!! :) I love their shoes especially. And you should not go back to reality...let yourself splurge on just ONE thing (dont read this mom)..like that jacket...something that will make you feel amazing and remind you of Vienna when you wear it, something that you could wear a lot. I'm jealous of your shopping adventures. The best I have here is the Walmart Stupidcenter....yeah ew. Haha keep loving shopping! I knew you understood me than you thought! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph, I know what you mean. When we went to Scotland, I bought one expensive thing: a beautiful handmade wool wrap on the Isle of Skye. It's not something I probably would have bought at home. But, I love it and use it every winter, and it reminds me of being there.

    ReplyDelete

Followers